Recent hurricanes have forced the issue – how do we rebuild and become better prepared for the next storm? Below is a list of helpful resources from NOAA and beyond.
Tools and Information
An organized, A to Z list of resources for coastal communities can be found on the Digital Coast’s “Coastal Storms” page (coast.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/topics/coastal-storms.html). Such as:
- Understanding the Dangers of Storm Surge
- Historical Hurricane Tracks
- Using Flood Exposure Maps Training
- Risk Communication
- Lidar – Communities use lidar-based elevation data to analyze and map flood risk and extent. Pairing flood maps with socioeconomic information shows at-risk populations.
- Pre-event Imagery from the Data Access Viewer – noaa.gov/dataviewer/#/imagery/search
- See more resources here – noaa.gov/hazards/hurricanes/#prep
- Find data and tools that aid in hurricane response, such as
- Lidar data to analyze flooded areas – noaa.gov/digitalcoast/data/coastallidar.html
- Coastal socio-economic data to find at-risk populations –noaa.gov/digitalcoast/data/sovi.html
- Land use change data to analyze wetland and land cover changes – noaa.gov/digitalcoast/data/ccapregional.html
- Sea Level Rise Viewer to view and download areas exposed to potential sea level rise and coastal flooding – noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/slr.html
- Environmental Sensitivity Index maps to analyze at-risk coastal resources and shoreline types – noaa.gov/digitalcoast/data/esi.html
- See more resources here – noaa.gov/hazards/hurricanes/#response
- Plan and prepare for the future by including adaptation strategies. Adaptation Planning for Coastal Communities training shows you how (noaa.gov/digitalcoast/training/climate-adaptation.html). Find more training through the Digital Coast Academy, such as how to use green infrastructure to protect your community (coast.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/training/home.html).
- Compare before and after high-resolution imagery from Harvey and Irma (com/disaster-relief and storms.ngs.noaa.gov).
- National Ocean Service Hurricane Resources – noaa.gov/hazards/hurricanes
- NOAA Geoplatform Hurricane Harvey Group – maps.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=f948d37d96124d3d91f82b8731e1b864#overview
- Federal Emergency Management Agency webpage and data page – gov and data.femadata.com/NationalDisasters